Cody Lindsay is a chef by trade, and has completed 7 years and two tours with the Canadian Military and is covered by Veterans Affairs Canada for medical cannabis. He recently started a website to help other Veterans, thewellnesssoldier.com, where he writes about healthy eating, fitness, meditation, Veteran Affairs programs and medical marijuana. This is the first in an ongoing feature on Cody and his recipes, periodically on Lift.
Well, it’s that time of year again. The turkey is roasting in the oven and the apples are all cut up for the apple pie. Now it’s time to turn your attention to another favourite at any Thanksgiving table, the stuffing.
This stuffing recipe has a beautiful kick of bacon, cranberries and sage, followed by a nice crunch from the cashews. The cranberries make it the perfect accompaniment to your turkey by adding a little sweet taste. The bacon also gives this stuffing that nice smoky flavour. It is up to you whether or not you want to cut the crust off the bread or not.
Do not over mix the stuffing. Once you add the liquid mixture to the bread, incorporate the ingredients gently. If you do it too vigorously the bread will become too soggy and gross.
You will feed the whole Thanksgiving table with this bountiful recipe.
- 1 Loaf of Bread
- 1 Pound of Bacon
- 2-3 Carrots
- 2 Celery Stalks
- ½ Yellow Onion
- ½ Cup Dried Cranberries
- ½ Cup Canna Butter
- 1 Cup Turkey Stock (Chicken stock could substitute)
- 60 ml Sage
- 60 ml Crushed Unsalted Cashews
- Salt and Pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Cut the bread to desired shape. Small dice all vegetables, set aside.
- Chop bacon and cook to ¾ doneness.
- Add vegetables to bacon and cook until tender, season with salt and pepper.
- Add cranberries to mixture.
- Then add the butter and turkey stock and simmer for 2-3 minutes
- Remove from heat and add sage to the mixture.
- In a large bowl add bread and liquid mixture and mix together. (Do Not Overmix)
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Add to oven ready serving ware and put in oven for 25 minutes.
- Serve, Eat Well, and Be Happy