UPDATED here: http://blog.liftcannabis.ca/2014/08/27/cbd-mmpr-canada/
As reported recently by CTV news, the popular "Charlotte's Web" strain of medical cannabis is not yet available for medical users in Canada. Known for it's high CBD (Cannabidiol) and low THC count, Charlotte's Web has recently become a popular topic in the press due to its use in treating, among others, children suffering from debilitating epileptic seizures.
It was featured in Dr. Sanjay Gupta's "Weed" documentary on CNN and has been the cause of many 'marijuana refugees' leaving their home staes in the US to move to Colorado where they can legally access the strain and products refined from it. It was developed by the Stanley brothers and is currently grown on their farm in Colorado.
Fortunately for Canadian medical patients, there are many other high CBD strains available, and many Canadian licensed producers offer several of them. Below is a list of high CBD strains presently listed as available or coming soon from currently licensed producers under the MMPR. More are certainly likely to emerge as more licensed producers are approved begin to list the specifics of their products.
- MedReLeaf via their relationship with the world-renowned medical cannabis facilities in Israel (Tikun Olan) gives patients access to Avidekel, which contains ~15% CBD, ~1% THC.
- Tweed Inc. will be offering two high CBD strains "Argyle" (~5%THC/5%CBD) and "Pennywise" (~13%THC/13%CBD)
- Tilray currently offers its Cannatonic hybrid cross with an advertised THC: 12.5%; CBD: 6.3%.
- Bedrocan currently offers both Bediol – 6.5% THC; 8% CBD and Bedrolite – <0.5% THC; 9% CBD
- Mettrum advertises 2 strains at ~5%THC/5%CBD Available in May.
- Cannimed currently offers two high CBD strains: "Cannimed 1-13" (0.7%THC 13.0%CBD) and "Cannimed 9-9" (9%THC 9.5%CBD)
- Organigram offers their "MCP strains", advertised as "Rich in CBD, provides an analgesic (pain killing) effect, particularly when eaten, that may improve the comfort level of the patient, without the stronger psychoactive effects of THC."
- Peace Naturals offers Nina: ~8% THC, 8% CBD (currently sold out)
- Whistler Medical advertises two high CBD strains to be available soon: "CBD Skunk Haze" and "CBD Shark".